- ISO 20121: Event Sustainability Management Systems
- BNQ 9700-253: Sustainable Development – Responsible Event Management
- Planetair carbon neutral: Carbon Neutral
BIAS has an eco-responsible approach aimed at continuous improvement in the environmental, economic and social aspects of sustainable development.
Application of the 4Rs principle:
- Rethink: consultation with partners to improve practices
- Reduce at the source: virtual and electronic communication tools
- Reuse: equipment is mainly leased
- Recycle: sorting stations during the event
- A waste management plan is implemented, and all waste materials are sorted, weighed and collected: 37% recycled materials (2017). BIAS has given itself a maximum target of 4.7 tonnes of waste sent to landfills.
- Reusable tableware in certain sectors
- Shuttle services for visitors and performers
- Outreach teams will be present at the event to raise visitors’ awareness of waste management (WM) and greenhouse gases (GHGs).
- Offsetting 900 t of GHG emissions: Trees will be planted to offset the GHGs produced by the organizers and performers. This represents the planting of 4,000 trees (= 1.6 ha).
- Local investment: 50 regional suppliers
- Surplus food (VIP) is redistributed to organizations